Applications are welcome until 20 October for the Hawke’s Bay Environmental Awards. The awards are now sponsored jointly by the region’s five councils, plus the Department of Conservation.
You can nominate yourself or anyone involved in projects suited to any of these six award categories:
- Outstanding Contribution to the Environment Award is for a high level of environmental or conservation leadership, of the level of a ‘lifetime achievement award’.
- Local Environment Action Fund (LEAF) Project Excellence Award is for an individual or group who has applied for funding through the Local Environmental Action Fund and progressed or completed their small project goals with excellence.
- Sus’d Programme Excellence Award is for a family, group or marae who have made significant progress in running a sustainable home/s and property, including people in Hastings Sus’d programme.
- DOC Catherine Tiffen Volunteer Award is for individuals and groups who have demonstrated a significant contribution to conservation and the environment through their voluntary efforts. Open to all volunteers not just DOC volunteers.
- DOC Natural History, Heritage Conservation Award is for individuals and groups who have demonstrated a significant commitment in encouraging the protection and cultivation of the natural fauna, flora and/or historic values within Hawke’s Bay.
- Community Environment Award is for a high level of development of environmental projects in urban and rural areas, covering wetlands, bush regeneration, water quality etc.
Finalists will be advised in October and the winners will be announced at the free public awards event to be held on Wednesday 16 November at Lindisfarne College Auditorium.
Application forms and other information about the awards are available here or by contacting local councils.