In budget hearings last week, Hastings Councillors heard appeals from community groups for $240,000+ in additional spending … over amounts already indicating a 5%+ rates increase.
Here are some of the projects for which funding was requested:
- Christmas/New Year’s Festival of Lights at Showgrounds – $25K
- Surf Lifesaving (for Ocean Beach & Waimarama) – $15K
- National Maori Music Awards at Opera House – $15K
- Alzheimer’s Society, toward property purchase for community day care service – $20K
- Kelt Spring Racing Carnival, for marketing support – $50K
- Sustaining Hawke’s Bay Trust, for sustainability programs – $20K
- HB Healthy Homes Project, for insulating 50 houses – $20K
- Takitimu Festival, for Maori arts & culture festival at Showgrounds – $40K
- Hastings Riding for the Disabled, contribution toward capital improvements – amount unspecified
- Hastings City Marketing, for various CBD improvements – amount unspecified
- Hastings Exhibition Centre, for additional general support – amount unspecified
You be the Councillor! Take this quick survey to tell your Council colleagues which projects, if any, you would prefer to fund. Spending ratepayer money is fun!